Authorities say a 43-year-old Lowell man who had apparently gone to check on his neighbor's unoccupied house was killed when the house exploded Monday night. Lake County Sheriff John Buncich says officials believe it to be consistent with a propane explosion as the investigation continues. The Lake County Coroners office says 43-year-old Victor
Strain, who was found in the basement of the house that exploded, was pronounced dead at the scene. The house, which stood on State Road 2 just west of Interstate 65, was destroyed, and a vacant house next door to the west caught fire. Authorities say the owner of the home that exploded has been in a nursing home and has not lived there for a number of months.
[Photo/Karl Berner for Radio One Communications]