The 2013-2014 school year will begin today for Lake Station and La Porte Community school children.
Motorists are encouraged to be alert when approaching school zones, and to obey the posted school zone speed limit when children are present.
Please observe for children crossing the street , waiting near bus stops and for those getting on and off school buses. Remember, Indiana law requires that drivers stop for a bus when its “Stop” arm is extended.
Officers will be exercising zero tolerance for school speed zone violations and stopped school bus violations.
Parents can help their children by reviewing a few safety tips:
- Cross the street only at intersections and designated cross-walks.
- Do not walk in between parked vehicles.
- Obey instructions from the school crossing guard, if one is present.
- Walk to and from school in groups, if possible.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before approaching or getting out of your seat.
- The bus driver has limited visibility around the bus. Teach your child to always cross in front of the bus.
With everyone’s commitment, we can help keep our children safe this school year. Citizens who observe dangerous or suspicious behavior near schools are encouraged to report same by calling police.
# # #