April 15 - Tax Day is Here

Share this post

April 15 has arrived -- Tax Day.  The Indiana Department of Revenue says filing online is the fastest and easiest way to make sure your return gets processed quickly. Indiana has a free method for filing both your state and federal taxes. It's Indiana freefile. About 1 million Hoosiers qualify for this free service. Go to  to find out if you qualify.
You can hear more about tax day and filing your state taxes at News Audio on Demand here at our website, from an interview with Chetrice Mosley with the Indiana Department of Revenue.
If you're not going to make the April 15 deadline, you state officials say you will need to file an extension of time to file. Here's more info:
To file an extension, first determine whether you are going to owe state taxes, receive a refund or break even. If you are going to owe taxes:
Download Form IT-9 from the state's income tax form list.
Figure how much you owe and mail your payment with the IT-9.
Pay at least 90 percent of the tax you are going to owe.
You will have until June 17 to file your return along with the rest of your payment.
Note: Penalties for late filing are waived, but you will still be liable for interest accrued or any unpaid amount.
If you are not going to owe taxes and will receive a refund or break even, you will need to keep the following in mind:
If you have filed for a federal extension of time to file (IRS Form 4868), then you won't need an additional extension for Indiana filing purposes. A federal extension of time to file extends your filing period with Indiana to November 15.
If you don't have a federal extension, complete Form IT-9, get it postmarked by April 15 and file your tax return by June 17.
Even if you owe no tax liability, you still must file. You can still be charged late filing penalties if you don't file on time.
If you are in the military, Indiana has special filing considerations. The Indiana Department of Revenue's Information Bulletin #27 provides details about extensions, taxability of income, deductions and a range of information for those serving in the military. If you or your spouse is serving in a combat zone, this bulletin has tax information specific to your situation. You can also visit  for helpful information for military personnel.
The Department of Revenue offers a short video to help taxpayers understand how to file an extension. To watch the video, please visit
And for more information about filing an extension of time to file, visit


Laura-WXRD Scott-WXRD Brent-WXRD
Region News Team
Region News Team
Region News Team
Region News Team
Region News Team
Region News Team


Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE