Region-News-Team-White-Logo

Take Extra Care Using Alternative Heating Sources

Share this post

The Indiana State Fire Marshal's Office is reminding Hoosiers to take extra care when using alternative heating sources, such as fireplaces, gas or electric space heaters, wood burning stoves, and other fuel-burning sources, to keep warm this winter. According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment was the second leading cause of home fires in the U-S in 2010, with half of all home heating fires having occurred in December, January, and February. Indiana State Fire Marshal Jim Greeson says, “ Anyone using heating equipment other than a central heating system needs to follow the manufacturer directions and exercise extreme caution to avoid a fire.”

Fireplaces
According to NFPA, between 2006 and 2010, the leading factor contributing to home heating fires was failure to properly clean creosote, an oily deposit that easily catches fire, from solid-fueled heating equipment such as chimneys.

  • Use only dry, seasoned wood in a fireplace or wood stove to avoid the build-up of creosote,
  • Use only paper or kindling wood, not a flammable liquid, to start the fire. Do not use artificial logs in wood stoves.
  • Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
  • Allow fireplace and woodstove ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container, which is kept a safe distance from your home.

Space Heaters
If you have a space heater, know how to use it safely to avoid the risk of fire.

  • Space heaters need space. Keep heaters away from flammable materials such as bedding, drapes, clothing, etc.
  • Use the proper grade of fuel for your liquid-fueled space heater and never use gasoline in any heater not approved for gasoline use.
  • Refuel space heaters only in a well ventilated area and when the equipment is cool.
  • Plug power cords only into outlets with sufficient capacity, never into an extension cord.
  • Turn off space heaters whenever the room they are in is unoccupied.
  • Turn off space heaters when you go to bed each night to avoid knocking them over in the dark.

Generators
Knowing how to use your generator properly can protect you and your family from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

  • Never use a generator inside.
  • Place emergency generators outdoors away from windows and doors to prevent fumes from entering the home.
  • Have a CO detector in the house that sounds an alarm when dangerous carbon monoxide levels are found.

For more tips on being prepared for winter weather, visit GetPrepared.in.gov.

# # #


Meet-The-Team-white

Laura-WXRD Scott-WXRD Brent-WXRD
LAURA WALUSZKO
Region News Team
SCOTT ROSENBERG
Region News Team
BRENT BROWN
Region News Team
Jay-WXRD Karl-WXRD Annie-WXRD
JAY STEVENS
Region News Team
KARL BERNER
Region News Team
ANNIE FOX
Region News Team

Recent-Newscast-white

Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE