The Indiana Department of Transportation announces a road work moratorium beginning at about noon today (Thursday, July 3rd) until the morning hours of Monday, July 7th for the 4th of July weekend. Wherever possible, INDOT says road restrictions will be removed to ease traffic flow for the influx of holiday drivers, but some closures and restrictions will remain on larger projects. Around the Northwest Indiana District of INDOT those restrictions that are staying in place include:
· SR 912 (Cline Ave), Gary – One lane in each direction between Chicago Ave and Michigan St/5th Ave for Cline Avenue resurfacing project
· U.S. 12, Gary – U.S. 12 closed from east of Lake St to west of Atcheson Dr and Old Hobart Rd is closed from Miller Ave to Atcheson Dr for bridge work
· SR 152 (Indianapolis Ave), Hammond – Traffic shift on SR 152 between 169th Street and 165th Street for road rehabilitation
· U.S. 41, St. John – Traffic shift ¼ mile north of U.S. 231 for bridge replacement
· SR 55, southeast of Lowell – SR 55 closed in two places between SR 10 and SR 2 for bridge replacements (closed at ½ mile south of SR 2 and three miles south of SR 2)
· I-94, near Portage – Traffic shift in both directions on I-94 bridge, east of Ripley exit (SR 51), for bridge deck replacement
· SR 49, south of Kouts – SR 49 bridge over the Kankakee River is closed for replacement
St. Joseph County
· U.S. 31, South Bend – One lane in each direction on U.S. 31, between the U.S. 20 Bypass and Kern Road, for construction of the new U.S. 31 tie-ins
· SR 23, South Bend – Drivers should watch for uneven pavement between Campeau and Twyckenham where crews continue to work on the SR 23/Five Points project
· State Road 17, Logansport – SR 17 (3rd Street) is closed over the Eel River.
The public is invited to find out info on road restrictions or traffic tie-ups throughout the holiday weekend by liking the INDOT Northwest Indiana Facebook page www.Facebook.com/INDOTNorthwest or following INDOT Northwest on Twitter www.Twitter.com/INDOTNorthwest. Or visit http://www.trafficwise.in.gov for INDOT’s TrafficWise Traveler Information Service.