Article 2: Discharging of fireworks is prohibited with the following exceptions:
- Public displays where a permit is granted.
- Consumer fireworks can be used on the following dates and times:
- Between 5pm and 2 hours after sunset from June 29 to July 3rd.
- From 10 am to midnight on July 4th.
- Between 5 pm and 2 hours after sunset from July 5th to 9th.
- On December 31st from 10 am to 1am on January 1st.
Article 7: Penalties: a. Any person convicted of violating any provision under this Ordinance shall be subject to a fine in the amount up to $25 for the first occurrence, $50 for the second occurrence and $100 for the third occurrence.
Valparaiso Police will be enforcing this Ordinance during the upcoming July 4th weekend.
Safety tips courtesy of the Valparaiso Police Department:
The Valparaiso Police Department is reminding individuals to think safety during the July 4th Holiday Weekend. The July 4th weekend has typically involved alcoholic beverages during weekend celebrations. Additional officers will be on patrol during the holiday weekend searching for impaired drivers. If you are going to consume alcoholic beverage plan ahead, be responsible and don’t drink and drive.
Safety Tips for Using Fireworks at Home
• Always purchase fireworks from a reliable source.
• Use fireworks as directed on consumer product safety label; never alter products.
• Observe local laws and use good COMMON SENSE.
• Have a designated shooter to organize and shoot your family show.
• A responsible ADULT should supervise all firework activities.
• Parents should not allow young children to handle or use fireworks.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
• Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; AWAY from buildings and vehicles.
• NEVER carry fireworks in your POCKET.
• Wear safety glasses whenever using fireworks.
• Always have water ready if you are shooting fireworks.
• Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Soak spent fireworks with water before placing them in an outdoor trash can.
The City of Valparaiso will celebrate the July 4th Holiday with music and fireworks at Thomas Jefferson Middle School on July 4th starting at 6:30 pm, and concluding at dusk after the fireworks. Traffic delays should be expected, in the area of Thomas Jefferson Middle School during this time.
To hear our interview on fireworks safety with Valparaiso Police Chief Michael Brickner visit News Audio on Demand here at our website.