(Melvin Walker Jr. Photos Courtesy of Lake Co Sheriff's Dept)
Three Gary men involved in drugs and gangs were each arrested today after search warrants were executed based on tips from the public. The Lake County Sheriff's Office reports warrants were issued in the 44-hundred block of Buchanan Street and in the 19-hundred block of West Ridge Road. Arrested were 43 year old Sylvia Branch and 48 year old Melvin Walker, both charged with dealing in narcotics, and 29 year old Randy Martin, charged with dealing a controlled substance and possession of marijuana. Sheriff John Buncich they will continue to conduct raids on a weekly basis, says thank you to those who called their anonymous hotline, 800-750-2746, and encourages others who desire to clean up our communities to do the same. ...
NIPSCO crews were on the scene early this afternoon repairing a gas line break under the 400 block of Weston Street in Valparaiso, NIPSCO said the break apparently occurred when an earlier crew from the city's water department was digging in the area to repair a broken water line. As a precaution to the gas leak, Ben Franklin Middle School located directly across the street from the gas line break, evacuated their students earlier today. The gas line leak has since been secured and students have returned to their classes.
NIPSCO repair crews at work on a gas line break in the 400 block of Weston Street in Valparaiso
The gas line break is located in the area city's water department crews were excavating earlier in order to repair a leaking water line
The gas line that broke under the 400 block of Weston Street in Valparaiso
Looking south from Park Avenue where Weston Street is closed to Chestnut Street while repairs are being made to a broken gas line
(photos provided by Jay Stevens)
# # #
Valparaiso Police and Fire responded to a gas line break this morning that led to a precautionary evacuation at Ben Franklin Middle School. Police say crews were dispatched at 9:45 to a strong smell of natural gas in the 500 block of Weston Street, directly behind the school. Valparaiso City Utilities Director Steve Poulos says a city utility crew working on a water main leak in the 400 block of Weston struck a gas line during trenching operations. Police say due to a strong smell of natural gas inside the school the students were evacuated and eventually bused to the Valparaiso High School fieldhouse as a precaution. NIPSCO arrived on scene and stopped the leak. As of 11:15 a.m. the gas line had been repaired. School and fire department officials will be determining when the students will return to the school. No injuries were reported.
Page 326 of 431